Industry Practitioner Accreditation
Are you an independently qualified person or employee delivering services around the maintenance of common property for residential and mixed-use strata schemes in Australia? Would you like to be recognised for your skills in this sector?
The ABMA offers Industry Practitioner Accreditation (IPA) for service providers that deem to satisfy the regulatory compliance outcomes and building management standards of the ABMA Building Management Code©.
To be eligible, individuals must complete relevant training, apply to the ABMA for IPA and show evidence of up-to-date insurance and qualifications, where appropriate. Once approved, individuals will be added to the ABMA Industry Practitioner Accreditation Search Facility, where members of the community are able to determine if their preferred service provider holds this qualification.
IPA is valid from March of the year applied, to March of the following year. After this time, individuals will have to renew their Accreditation by completing Continuing Professional Development training^ and updating any relevant documents.
ABMA Industry Practitioner Accreditation (IPA) is open to those in various fields of the Australian building management sector, including:
- General Practitioner - For anyone in the industry who completes the training requirements and can provide relevant insurances.
- Building Manager - For caretakers, Building Managers, Facilities Managers, or those who assist in these roles:
- Provisional - For Building Managers with less than 3 years full-time experience;
- Restricted - For persons such as Strata Managers who are limited or restricted to providing Work Orders etc.
- Full - For Building Managers who have completed the ABMA Diploma of Building Management, can demonstrate 5+ years of relevant full-time experience and can complete the online ABMA Regulatory Compliance Self-Assessment Tool ›
- Trainers - For those looking to deliver ABMA Accredited training courses.
See full General IPA Requirements below.
- Building Durability Consultants - For commercial building defector inspectors,
- Compliance and Performance Assessor,
- Facilities Management Plan Consultant,
- Early Dispute Prevention Services Consultant,
- OHS/WHS Plan Consultant,
- OHS/WHS Representative.
* Offered upon request, to those highly advanced in their field.
See the Industry Practitioner Accreditation Pathways (500 KB PDF)
In order to achieve Industry Practitioner Accreditation with the ABMA, individuals must achieve the minimum standard set under the ABMA Qualifications Framework below:
For all Industry Practitioners:
- Purchase current edition of ABMA Building Management Code©;
- Completing ABMA002 - Strata/Trade Professionals Annual Induction (SPAI/TPAI);
- Completing one (1) unit of ABMA Accredited Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course:
- Completing relevant training specific to IPA Category (see below);
- Apply to ABMA for Accreditation.
General IPA Requirements:
ABMA Accredited General Practitioner:
No further qualification required. Once SPAI and CPD complete, individuals can apply to ABMA for Accreditation.
Provisional: For Building Managers, Facilities Managers or Caretakers with less than three (3) years full time experience. Upon completion of SPAI and CPD, individuals may apply for this category of Accreditation.
Restricted: For those assisting in the field, such as Strata Managers who provide Work Orders. Upon completion of SPAI and CPD, individuals may apply for this category of Accreditation.
Full: In addition to the compulsory SPAI and CPD, all ABMA Accredited Building Managers (Full) must hold a Diploma of Building [or Facilities] Management and/or demonstrate 5+ years of equivalent full-time work on a Class 2-9 building and be able to demonstrate full regulatory compliance via the ABMA Regulatory Compliance Self-Assessment tool.
ABMA Accredited Trainer:
In addition to the compulsory SPAI and CPD (specific to the module wanting to be delivered), all ABMA Accredited Trainers must hold a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, attend the annual ‘Train-the-Trainer’ session and complete assessable work.
ABMA Building Durability Consultant:
In addition to the compulsory SPAI and CPD, all ABMA Accredited Building Durability Consultants must complete the 3-day ABMA BDC ‘Job Ready’ workshop. Pre-Requisite qualifications for enrolment include that applicants must hold an unrestricted builders license or private certifiers license, and/or be an engineer or architect.
ABMA Compliance & Performance Assessor:
In addition to the compulsory SPAI and CPD, all ABMA Accredited Compliance & Performance Assessors (CPA) must meet all requirement for ABMA Accredited Building Manager (Full) and complete the 3-day ABMA CPA ‘Job Ready’ workshop.
ABMA Facilities Management Plan Consultant:
In addition to the compulsory SPAI and CPD, all ABMA Accredited Facilities Management Plan (FMP) Consultants must meet all requirement for ABMA Accredited Building Manager (Full) and complete the 3-day ABMA FMP ‘Job Ready’ workshop.
ABMA Early Dispute Prevention Services Consultant:
EDPs includes administrator, desk-top auditor and/or mediator. In addition to the compulsory SPAI and CPD, all ABMA Accredited Early Dispute Prevention Services Consultants must complete the 3-day ABMA EDPS ‘Job Ready’ workshop. (administrator, desk-top auditor and/or mediator).
ABMA OHS/WHS Plan Consultant:
In addition to the compulsory SPAI and CPD, all ABMA Accredited OHS/WHS Compliance Management Plan Consultants must complete the 3-day ABMA OHS/WHS CMP ‘Job Ready’ workshop.
See course brochure: OHS/WHS Compliance management Plan Consultant (450 KB PDF)
ABMA Accredited OHS/WHS Representative:
In addition to the compulsory SPAI and CPD, all ABMA Accredited OHS/WHS Representatives must complete the 3-day ABMA OHS/WHS Representative ‘Job Ready’ workshop (see OHS/WHS Representative OHS/WHS Representative ‘Job Ready’ (450 KB PDF) workshop brochure for more information)
^ ABMA Building Compliance Accreditation Agency Limited is a not-for-profit platform for self-regulation of the maintenance and care of common property across the residential and mixed-use strata sector of Australia. We are not a training organisation; however, we do provide subject matter expertise to other training organisations and accredit relevant.